Frequently Asked Questions



1. What is Claims Adjuster?

Claims adjusters investigate insurance claims by interviewing the claimant and witnesses, consulting police and hospital records, and inspecting property damage to determine the extent of the company’s liability. Adjusters may handle “property claims” involving damage to buildings and structures, or “liability claims” involving personal injuries or third-person property damage from liability situations, such as motor vehicle accidents, slip and falls, dog bites, or alleged negligent behavior. Some adjusters handle both types of claims and are known as “Multi-Line” adjusters. Also “All Lines Adjusters” may handle “any” type of claim already identified and also include Professional Liability, Hospital Professional Liability, Excess Liability, Physicians and Surgeons Liability, Aircraft Liability/Hull, Inland Marine, Ocean Marine, Boiler and Machinery, Farm and Ranch, as well as various types of Bond Losses.

2. What does an Independent Insurance Claims Adjuster do to earn a salary of $1000 per day during a catastrophic event?

As an Independent Insurance Claims Adjuster, you would be responsible for calling and meeting with the insured, scope the damage, and writing and submitting an estimate to the insurance company; then you get paid. Also, $1000 per day is a conservative figure for an adjuster. An efficient adjuster can make more than double that amount.

3. What skills do I need to get into this line of work?

You need an understanding of insurance policies, the physical ability to scope/inspect a property (including evaluation, measuring, photo documenting) and put the information on a computer program, that we will teach you how to use. Climbing roofs Insurance claims adjusters have a mixture of office and field work, sometimes requiring out of town travel. Workweeks can be highly variable, based on the need to meet clients in evenings and on weekends, or to handle a rash of claims pursuant to a natural disaster or severe weather event.

4. Can I learn what I need to know in 8 days?

Absolutely! Our training program is specifically designed to teach you the knowledge and skills required to be an adjuster. We do not just get you licensed. We give you the information and confidence you’ll need to process an insurance claim from beginning to end. Our instructors are highly experienced and will make sure you pass this class. Of course, your skills will improve as you gain field experience.

5. Who do I work for?

As a Licensed Independent Adjuster (IA) you will work for Adjusting Firms. The Firms have contracts with insurance companies and will assign you jobs as they are submitted by the insurance companies. There are numerous specialized jobs you can get with this license including estimating residential and commercial property, auto, marine, flood, fire claims, and much more. This is the best license to get with the most options available to you.

6. How do I get the license after I take this course?

Send in the application along with your certificate of completion that we will provide you once you finish and pass the pre-licensing. The Texas Department of Insurance will send you your license in the mail. We give you with fool-proof directions to expedite the process. The Texas Department of Insurance license is the best single license to have. You can use it in 44 states!

7. How do I get a job after I complete the course?

Mile High Adjusters will give you a list of top ranking adjusting firms and insurance companies. You will place yourself on the rosters of these firms and we will recommend you to any firms that want good, trained, licensed adjusters when needed. The adjusting firms will call you when there is a daily claim available in your area or when a storm hits. You can also work as an Xactimate professional and enter the information for the outside adjuster. You can travel the country alone, with your spouse, or with a friend and be a “Storm Chaser”. There are so many different career paths you can choose with your All-Lines Adjuster License, just select the one that fits your personality. After gaining field experience on your first assignments, you will most likely develop a business relationship with one or two adjusting firms that you prefer to work for on a continual basis, but you have the choice of working as an IA for any company you desire.

8. How long does it take to get a job after I get my license?

If a storm or significant catastrophe hits any part of the nation, most adjusters are deployed immediately. Hurricane season is the best time for a newcomer to get their first job. Other times are during dry seasons when fires or winter storms hit. If no storms hit, you can do daily claims for insurance companies. There are hundreds of claims every day made by people who have leaks, broken tiles, water damage, slip and fall, etc. After having at least one assignment under your belt, you will have an easier time picking and choosing your workload.

9. What do I need to take this class?

No special skills or tools are required for the class. You will need a laptop computer to use the Xactimate estimating software. Please see the “Details” on our Xactimate class page for the System Requirements. Those that have either a little construction background or computer proficiency will have an edge in the beginning, but you will learn everything you need to get started when you take the Mile High Adjusters pre-licensing course package. We teach you how to do a claim from beginning to end so you have the confidence and knowledge to do the job right the first time.

10. How do I sign up?

Go to Under the tab “Training Center” there will be a link to our classroom courses. Click the “Register” button and you will be prompted to input your personal profile information. You can also call the Mile High Adjusters office at 281-741-8505 and we can sign you up over the telephone. Classes fill up quickly, so sign up ahead of time to reserve your seat.

11. What if we can’t attend all 8 days of the course consecutively?

You can take the course in parts. It is permissible to take the first four days of the course (the pre-licensing portion) during one scheduled course and then take the last four days in another month during another scheduled course set. Please call our office to make arrangements.

12. How much is it to get licensed and trained?

Now you can take the 14 day Catastrophic Adjusters Technical (CAT) Deployment Training Course & Adjusters Deployment Boot Camp in our classroom at the new headquarters in Houston Texas. It consists of a 4 day Texas All-Lines Adjuster Pre-Licensing Course (you will take the TX state exam here), 4 days of Xactimate Fundamentals & Proficiency, 1 Day Off (Sunday), 5 days of Scoping Fundamentals & Adjusters Deployment Boot Camp Training. This will improve your Adjuster skills, and get you ready to apply for the Texas All-Lines Adjusters License - the most revered license in Adjusting because Texas has Reciprocity with 47 other states on this licensing. Registration for the 14 day class is $1,590, and includes your books and test fees. You can register today by clicking on the red "Register Today!" button on the top right corner of this page.

13. When is the next class scheduled?

In the main menu select: Training Center -> Training Schedule

14. What are the licensing requirements to become an insurance claims adjuster?

There are no requirements with regard to experience. To work as an insurance claims adjuster, you need only hold an insurance adjuster license. To acquire an adjuster license, the Texas Department of Insurance requires either:a) the completion of the state exam, orb) the completion of a certified insurance adjuster pre-licensing course, such as ours. A certified adjuster pre-licensing course must include 40 hours of in-class study and the administration of an approved daily exam.Since it realistically requires more time and cost to learn the information on your own, and the state exams are notoriously difficult. The least expensive, quickest, and most practical choice is to take our course. In addition, you will learn more by taking our courses taught by experienced, licensed adjusters.

15. What is a pre-licensing course? Will I get my adjuster’s license at class?

The adjuster pre-licensing course fulfills all requirements needed to successfully apply for an adjuster license. It is simply a matter of completing the application (provided in our course) with the Texas Department of Insurance. No further testing or course work is necessary. Depending upon the volume of applications they process, you should expect your insurance adjuster license usually within 1 week.

16. How can I check the progress of my license application?

Yes; the contact number for state licensing is (512) 322-3503.

17. Which states do not require an adjuster’s license?

To the best of our knowledge, the following states do not require an adjuster license to operate in their state:Colorado, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wisconsin.Still, Insurance carriers will require that residents of these states hold a license before allowing them to delegate millions of dollars of insurance money to claimants on a weekly basis. The Texas state license is the most practical choice, it is based on national insurance standards. You will be able to use this license in 44 states. A complete list of each state and their licensing requirements will be available during our course.

18. Why didn’t anyone tell me about this career earlier?

We get this question all the time and asked ourselves the same thing. This career has always been kept low key. Independent claims adjusting is an exciting, lucrative, and relatively unknown occupational niche in the insurance industry. Most people do not know where to get the license or where to join the rosters of the hundreds of thousands of active adjusters. Being an independent claims adjuster is a rich source of income. For that reason, those within the industry are more inclined to only tell their friends and family. And because of this, there is actually a shortage of adjusters in the industry, specifically during seasons with bad weather. Career adjusters are constantly retiring out of the profession (in wealth and luxury), so newcomers are always welcome!

19. Are you registered with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) or state as an accredited provider?

Yes, we are registered with both the BBB and with TDI (Texas Department of Insurance) as an accredited state provider. Mile High Adjusters has been registered with the BBB since November 15, 2010 and has an A- rating. We also work in conjunction with TDI to license and train adjusters according to the rules dictated by the state statutes. Mile High Adjusters has undergone a strict regimen of compliance guidelines to be a top quality educational provider.You can check online or call TDI to confirm our status with them. Our state provider number is #43757 and is the best identification reference for them to locate us in their system for you.

Mile High Supports Insurance Adjusters Throughout Their Careers

Write My Scope

Let us lighten your load with our scope writing services.

Continuing Education

Fulfill your CE requirements online, from anywhere!

Resource Library

The information you need, when you need it courtesy of Mile High!


Mile High Adjusters delivers the training and support you need to launch your exciting new career as a professional insurance adjuster